First, read the manuals: how to setup.pdf and how to setup All-In-One and the changelog
New version napp-it 0.9: Use this on new installations. It is better than ever.
Update from versions prior 0.9 is only possible via wget. You must check or recreate your jobs. Back to 0.8 is only possible via boot environment. You can install version 0.8 with the nappit08 installer that keeps available.
Current status of napp-it: no support, use it as is, without warranty at your own risk. Problems and Bugs: certainly there, always use the latest nightly or quite stable version.
Online initial installation (or update) the napp-it ZFS NAS / SAN server
- Based on Illumos
best supported base for napp-it:
- OmniOs (minimal server installation, stable, Illumos-based)
- OpenIndiana (open source, CLI or GUI Live Verson with Time Slider), Illumos-based
but running on:
- Nexenta Illumian (base of NexentaStor 4)
- Oracle Solaris 11.1 (CLI or GUI Live Version, not for commercial use, and free for demo purposes)
You can use napp-it To Go. This is a preconfigured USB Stick installation
Download if "napp-it to go". (Ready to use USB images, download, boot, run)
or do a manual installation
1. Install Open Indiana, OmniOS or Solaris 11
- Download bootable ISO:
- Download Nexenta Illumian http://www.illumian.org
- Download OmniOS: http://omnios.omniti.com/
- Download Open Indiana http://www.openindiana.org/download/ (newest iso, currently OI 151a7, I suggest Live edition)
- Download Solaris 11.1: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html
Install one of these systems on hardware (disk or fast 16GB USB stick) or virtualized on a vt-d system (All-In-One, VMServer + NAS / SAN). For a very simple installation, you must select only the boot disk, language and network configuration.
2. To make a turnkey ZFS server appliance (an internet connection is required)
- Log in as root (or as user with subsequent su to gain root privileges) and
- Start the online installation:
Install or update of the current (stable) version of napp-it.
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl
You can up / downgrade to the last 5 versions via the napp-it menu - select update. If you use an extension (or evaluation key) you can also update to beta versions. napp-it is automatically installed with all base-tools / updated and configured. Private Menus and Settings are saved between updates. Read the changelog before updating. (no downgrade from 0.9->0.8 with this menu)
3. That's it, have fun! It only took a few minutes and you need no knowledge of Solaris.
Operate your appliance via a browser on port 81: http://www.serverip:81
3a. Optionally, you can then install AFP and AMP (apache, mysql and php)
Option AFP server using Time Machine:
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl
Option Apache + PHP + MSSQL Server (XAMPP):
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/amp | perl