napp-it Web-appliances = Easy manageable High-End Solaris or Illumos based ZFS NAS or SAN/ iSCSI storage build on cheap standard server hardware (mainly SuperMicro but also HP or Dell) with regular Sata, SAS or SSD disks
are allowed to download napp-it only from napp-it.org without a mandatory registration and use for free
without a time or capacity limit even commercially with enterprise grade
features. The free edition is only updated from time to time and intended
for Home or SoHo use. For production or commercial usage, you should use Pro editions. A 30 day evaluation of the Pro Complete features
is included on first install (without update option). All sources are open and commented. You can edit or extend napp-it with own menus. Redistribution is not allowed.
you want to configure napp-it on customers demand or bundle, customize
or sell napp-it, you need a Pro-bundling license for every appliance.
The Pro editions include a improved GUI performance and access to
nightly editions and bugfixes for one year. If you update from an Eval to a Pro-Key, you need to delete the Evalkey to update to newest napp-it.
100 Euro for a single bundling (lowers on number of bundlings,
adds funktions like ACL management, monitoring or replication. You can
order it on a annual base or without time limit. Included is a better
GUI performance and access to nightly editions and bugfixes.
100 Euro per appliance/extension (annual subscription)
500 Euro per appliance/extension (without time limit)
includes all extensions and comes with a basic 3 month email-support to answer
setup questions around your ZFS server.
300 Euro per appliance (annual subscription)
1500 Euro per appliance (without time limit)
We do not request or pay sales-tax due to our state as a small enterprise according to § 19 UStG or use reverse charge for other countries.
- All-In-One, that is a server with ESXi where you run a virtualized napp-it (with direct storage access via pass-through) together with other systems. With ESXi 5.5 (included free edition) you can add as much RAM as you like to your napp-it VM so it runs comparable to a barebone installation. You can add other guests and systems running from local ZFS storage with best performance up to 10 Gbe. Together with combined Vmotion/Storagemotion and several All-In-One, you can divide load without a single point of failure like with a single SAN for your ESXi server. This is mostly the best installation option. A ready to use napp-it VM is on the way (download, import, run)
Read the article about this solution at www.servethehome.com
- Install direkt on hardware, either as napp-it To Go on a (optional ZFS mirrored) USB stick or installed to Sata bootdisks.
"napp-it to Go" - High Capacity affordable bezahlbarer max 200 TB Server (Chenbro RM 91250 max 50 x 4 TB Sata,
USB Bootstick-Mirror, SuperMicro Mainboard X9SRL, max 256GB RAM, 6 x IBM 1015 SAS Controller without Expanders, 10GbE
SoHo HP MicroServer (napp-it to Go)
"napp-it to Go" HP Microserver N40 (Lowcost Storage Server with 4 diskslots for a backup or SoHo media/NAS system)
Napp-it comes in two editions
The napp-it free edition can be installed and used by end-users without costs - even commercially
Napp-it PRO edition offers extensions, faster menus, extra functions and more frequent updates and bug fixes.
If you want to distribute or customize napp-it for client installations, you need a PRO (bundling) licence per server.
NEW: "Napp-it to go", a preconfigured ready to use ZFS Storage Distribution on USB Sticks for my Top-4 Hardwareconfigurations
No installation or Unix skills needed for setup. Suitable for home, edu and enterprise usage.
If you install napp-it for the first time, a 30 day PRO Evaluation period with all extensions and enhancements is included.
After 30 days, functionality is reduced to the FREE version without extensions.
You can install napp-it on hardware or you can use All-In-One.
This is a ESXi VM Server (free edition possible) with a virtualized
napp-it Storage VM beside other guests like Windows. You need ESXi
capable hardware with hardware virtualisation vt-d. (HP Microserver does
not support hardware virtualisation)
napp-it Feature List
- One-Click Online Installer -ready to use NAS/SAN within minutes
- Installable to 16GB+ Sata disks (for live editions) or fast USB Sticks (napp-it to go)
(best with OmniOS and two fast USB sticks to build a ZFS boot mirror)
- Appliance software management (like a Wlan router, manageable for everybody via Browser)
If you have a "napp-it to go" USB stick, boot from the stick and manage your NAS via Web-UI
No installation and Unix skills are essentially not needed
- Option to restrict access based on IP or to activate/deactivate completely
Command: /etc/init.d/napp-it start (restart or stop)
- Preferred installation with OmniOS and OpenIndiana but also running under Nexenta Illumian and Solaris 11
- Possible to include this SAN appliance into a vmware virtual
esxi Server with mirrorred ZFS bootdisks (ESXi + virtual high
performance SAN + virtual switch, all-in-one) more on napp.it-all-in-one
- Comstar iSCSI Management (LU, Targets with Auth, Target Groups, Portal Groups, Target Portal Groups, FCOE)
- Grouping with ZFS host-host replication (extension)
- Integrated & editable help pages
- Job management (autosnap, autoscrub, email status & alert mails; perl scriptable)
- Pool-Benchmarks via bonnie+ (not on Solaris 11)
- Property Management of ZFS folders
- Service Management (Start, Stop, Restart, Status)
- Share Management of ZFS-folders with optimized settings (ex. ACL and properties) with reservations and quotas
- Snapshot Management (Systemsnaps and Datasnaps, delete based on date or regex)
- System + Network Settings (hostname, Router, DNS, IP etc)
- User and Group-Management (Solaris and SMB) with user and group quotas
- User extendable/ editable menues and actions (language: perl)
- ZFS Management: Disks, Pools, ZFS Folders, Raid Z3, Deduplication, unlimited Snapshots without extra space or time-lost
SSD Hybrid-Storage, Compress, Online Pool-Check with data-refresh =(scrubbing)
- ZFS Encryption, currently only Solaris 11 (Express)
- ZFS Encryption, based on encrypted devices/files (also
available on Illumian and OpenIndiana), easy backup to external disks/
- ZFS realtime Raid 1/ Raid-Z[1-3]
- ZFS Feature Flags and LZ4 Compression (OmniOS) http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/LZ4+Compression
- SnapRaid (Raid 5/6 style backup on Demand) with single-disk pools of any size and number
for use as a mediaserver, all disks beside active one can sleep.
ozther Services, managed via Web-UI
- AFP Fileserver with Time Machine + Avahi Zero Config (netatalk) if you have Macs
- CIFS/ SMB Fileserver (Workgroup/ AD-Domain mit ACL-Support and Snaps via previous version)
Windows compatible ACL (not only Posix ACL with simple basic Unix permissions)
- CIFS/ SMB Fileserver (Workgroup/ AD-Domain with ACL-Support and Snaps via previous version)
- Comstar iSCSI Server
- Database Server with mySQL and PHPmyadmin
- FTP Server (ProFTPD)
install: wget -O - www.napp-it.org/proftpd | perl
- Ipf Firewall
- NFS Server V.3 and V.4 (Datastore for Vmware esxi)
- SSH Server
- Webserver with Apache2 + PHP 5.3, Perl, GD, mySQL,PHPmyadmin, Owncloud
setup:wget -O - www.napp-it.org/ampo | perl
- Mediaserver Mediatomb (currently OpenIndiana only, first ests): wget -O - www.napp-it.org/mediatomb | sh
Nonfree Extensions and services including more frequent updates and bugfixes (Pro edition)
Per Web-UI manageable Encryption with OpenIndiana and Pools V. 28 (napp-it 0.8f+) with AES 256 encryption
You can request napp-it PRO evaluation keys online: request evaluation key
and best ZFS-Z2 data security for backups on any external disks or cloud storage. (Web-management, noncommercially free)
napp-it ACL management - 100 Euro per year
network-ZFS replication between appliances (beta) - 100 Euro per year
monitoring - 100 Euro per year
complete = all extensions + GUI speed otimization + Encryption Web-management: 300 Euro per year
Fees and donations are without tax (Mwst). After payment you will get an email to acticate the extensions
- University and Educational use
- Enterprise use, yes but without support
Preinstalled or supported hardware
- currently not available. NexentaCore/ Openindiana/ Opensolaris will run on many current systems
- If you want to sell ZFS Server with napp-it, see menu preconfigured
- mc (midnight commander)
- iperf net-benchmarks
- bonnie++ pool-benchmarks
- Capacity: no limit
no need for expensive hardware raid-controller (jbod), growing datapools by adding extra controllers or disks
- Costs: none (NexentaCore/ OpenIndiana and napp-it are free)
- Service and Support: only on special agreements (but you can change to NexentaStor without problems if needed)
- Stable releases: depends on OS, napp-it: continuous development, use at own risk
Setup your appliance with all these services and tools
- Step 1: Install NexentaCore, OpenIndiana or Solaris Express 11 (from Boot-CD on real Hardware or virtualized on a
vti-d capable esxi Virtual Server to passthrough SAS-controllers and disks to NexentaCore to have full ZFS disk-control)
- Step 2: Login as root (or adminin and su) and enter:
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl
- Step 3: Its like a well known ad: - there is no step 3 -Your NAS is ready
Installer will first do a snapshot of your system.
On problems, you could boot from this snapshot.
Connect your webbrowser with your appliance
- http://ip of your appliance:81
basics of napp-it
- napp-it-core is a copy and run appliance software (perl) to build a user editable and extendable Web-UI on nearly any Computer
more on napp.it-core
- napp-it allows the use of CLI-commands from your Operating System in a very comfortable way
- ZFS Server is developped for free NexentaCore but runs also on OpenIndiana, *Solaris* and Eon
- about 1 MB in size, requires no RAM during normal server operation
- napp-it ZFS Server includes all services, tools, menues and actions to build and manage a Web and NAS/SAN appliance